A hotel born in 1356
The Hotel Helmhaus is one of the oldest hotels in Zürich. As early as 1356, under the name of Hie zum Rosslyn, it was used as a guesthouse for merchants and pilgrims.
Women took over the house’s destiny when Anna Reinhart married the reformer Ulrich Zwingli in 1524. She used the house to build up the city’s poor relief. At the same time, the famous altarpieces of the Grossmünster abbey were built into the paneling of the Helmhaus and thus saved from destruction during the Reformation’s iconoclasm. There, they remained forgotten for over 400 years.
When the Weibel and Mengis families took over the hotel in 1970, they named it Helmhaus in reference to the nearby museum. Since then, the name has been a promise for us to promote art and culture. And the women? They are still in charge and run the Hotel Helmhaus with a great understanding of the needs of its guests and its 650-year history.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you soon!
Esther Portmann & Helmhaus Team